Rainwater Harvesting & Water Re-use
Rainwater harvesting can reduce the strain we put on potable water supplies. Polypipe Rainstream is our bespoke fully engineered range of rainwater harvesting systems utilising a Ridgistorm-XL tank to form buried storage or a GRP sectional tank to form above ground storage.
Whichever storage option is required, our rainwater harvesting system can include pre-tank filtration, in-tank pump sets and post-tank filtration and disinfection.
Polypipe Rainstream is able to offer both direct (pressure) and indirect (gravity) systems for the storage and re-use of rainwater. The captured rainwater can be used for toilet flushing, vehicle wash down and irrigation. Mains water top up is utilised during periods of dry weather to ensure demand is always met.
Once rainwater has been collected from roofs, pavements or roads, it is passed through pre-tank filtration to filter out leaves, insects, silt and other impurities.
The filtered water is stored either below ground in an antimicrobial lined Ridgistorm-XL tank or within a building in a GRP sectional tank. Upon demand, water is pumped directly to the point of use or to a header tank for gravity distribution.
The principle of rainwater harvesting and re-use:
- Rainwater falling onto roofs can be collected by a variety of measures which include gravity and siphonic systems.
- Pre-tank filtration then removes any larger pieces of debris such as leaves, before the collected water passes to the storage tank.
- The storage tank can be located in a building, surface mounted externally or buried below the surface of the site.
- Captured water is distributed either through a direct, indirect or boosted return system with an increased refinement of filtration and disinfection as required by the application.
- A closed-loop control system monitors the system in real time and delivers water on demand to the appliances.
Be sure to use our wide-ranging Technical Hub offers expert help and in-depth information on Polypipe rainwater harvesting systems so you can make the right choice.